Saturday 6 November 2010

Long live the book...and the book shelf!!

 


 

There is nothing like the smell of a new book (that can't be just me) or  flipping through the creased pages of a well read novel from a second hand book store. Barbara Chandler (@sunnyholts) recently tweeted a picture of people reading novels in a Brick Lane coffee shop and it got me thinking, will that image be replace with a room full of Kindle's or the next new e-book?

The advances in technology are amazing, the phone that used to just make calls is now a mobile office with everything from the internet to Microsoft programmes installed but will there come a time when its just too much? The old 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comes to mind, yes perhaps for those reading in the tube the ease of using the Kindle one handed whilst holding onto a pole for balance with your free hand is luring, particularly when it comes to the 'one touch' change of page which is usually a tricky procedure. But surely our already 'screen filled' days cannot take another addition to the family, I spend hours staring into my laptop screen everyday and when I'm not doing that I spend hours staring into my mobile phone screen and when I'm not doing that I spend hours staring into my TV screen and when I'm not doing that...you get the picture!

Shelves With A Bench
Shelves With a Bench by Stanislav Katz
We've recently decided to renovate our 'reading wall' which is a mish mash wall of our book collection, from decorating books to romantic novels, old university reading lists to unexpected finds and (admittedly) those unwanted 'when will I read that' gift. It really is a catalogue of my life, every book has some meaning, whether it's finding a personal message in the covers or re-reading an old favorite you forgot how much you loved.

The bookshelf is a time line as well as a design statement, no slick touch screen can compete, no matter how many extra features it might come with! So whilst I try to make my 'time line' into a spectacular wall feature I have collected some of the great bookshelf designs that I love and really show how far we've come from the after thought that was the single plank of wood. 

furniture-bedseat-chair-shelf.png


Creative Bookshelves by Largo         
             

                             

3 comments:

  1. Wow some great storage ideas there. I really know what you mean, the book shelf really is a time line I love looking through and finding books that have followed me from my school days at my parents house, to my first ever flat to my family home now, great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with above great post! the e book has nothing on a real book, just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely blog, long live the book

    ReplyDelete